So, you have Microsoft Key Management Services running fine for all your Vista workstation and Windows 2008 servers but now you want to add your KMS key for Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 and you get this error message:
You now have 2 choices to fix this issue:
1. Move you KMS host to a Windows Server 2008 R2 server
2. Install Microsoft patch KB968912
Of course this patch is not available from windows update so here is the complete step to install the patch and setup your new KMS key on you KMS host.
- Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968912 and download the patch. Make sure to select the proper Operating System.
- Install the patch on your KMS host
- Reboot your server. This is mandatory or you won’t be able to update your product key until next reboot
- Open a command prompt windows. If you are using Windows 2008 or Windows 7 make sure to open the command prompt with administrator privileges.
- Type the following command when the xxxxx are you KMS product key:
slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
- This time you key should be updated correctly
- Now type the command to validate and activate your new key:
- When you have receive the confirmation that your activation was successful you have one last step to do:
net stop slsvc && net start slsvc
This will restart the Microsoft License Services on your KMS host. If you forget this step your 2008 R2 servers and Windows 7 workstation won’t be able to activate and you will get this error message:Error Code 0xC004F074 Activating Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2
I don’t know for you guys but I did face a lot of wierd issue with Microsoft Key Management Service so feel free to comment if you need help with your KMS host.